Here are the top ten parenting fails shared on the podcast so far! Two weeks ago, we started the countdown at number 30 and counted down to 21. In last week’s episode, we counted down from 20 to 11. And while all of those stories were great, and I hope you go back and listen to them if you haven’t already, this episode features the best of the best parenting fails shared on the podcast.
I realize that “best” is not really the best word when you’re talking about parenting fails, because one parenting fail isn’t better than another one – which made ranking these stories quite difficult. But I really think you will get something more than just comic relief by listening to these top 10 stories.
The takeaway I hope you get isn’t that mistakes are no big deal. It’s that we all make mistakes, and that there’s no such thing as a perfect parent. And that being the case, it’s much healthier to be able to laugh at yourself than beat yourself up – not to mention much more entertaining.
I’ll continue to ask guests to share parenting fails, but here are the storytellers of the best fails shared on the podcast so far.
10. Kristen Chase, half of the duo from Cool Mom Picks, who were interviewed in episode 45 of the podcast.
8. Dave Barry, Pulitzer Prize winning columnist and author of more than 30 books, who was interviewed in episode 51 of the podcast.
7. Hillary Frank, host of the Longest Shortest Time podcast, who was interviewed in episode 18 of the podcast.
6. Deva Dalporto, the YouTube sensation whose videos about parenthood have been downloaded millions of times, who was interviewed in episode 15 of the podcast.
5. Jill Smokler, the mom who created the Scary Mommy website, who was interviewed in episode 21 of the podcast.
2. Jeannie Gaffigan, comedian Jim Gaffigan’s writing partner who also happens to be his wife and was his co-writer on the Jim Gaffigan Show, who was interviewed in episode 38 of the podcast.
1. Michele Lepe, best known as Nina on the Good Night Show on Sprout. It’s not easy to rank parenting fails, but I knew this story would be number one as soon as I decided to do a countdown. I was so grateful when Michele agreed to be my first guest ever on the podcast. It helped launch the show with a great interview and she knocked it out of the park when she shared her parenting fail.
About Breaking Down Parenting: A ParentNormal Podcast
Since this episode was originally released, the show has evolved into Breaking Down Parenting: A ParentNormal Podcast. It’s a show that’s for imperfect parents by imperfect parents. Hosted by humorist and imperfect parent of three Chris Cate, every episode breaks down a topic that causes parents to break down, such as putting kids to bed, potty training, the terrible twos, homework, clothing, discipline, cleaning up, cooking for kids, and so on….
By the end of each topic breakdown, parents will hopefully realize they aren’t alone in their struggles and that the craziness all parents go through is actually quite funny when it’s looked at in the right light. After all, the mission of the show is to help parents laugh when they want to cry.
Connect with The ParentNormal on Social Media
Links to popular episodes of Breaking Down Parenting: A ParentNormal Podcast